Shi'ite Imams Questions?
David Amicus
2015-11-28 03:04:43 UTC
I'm asking this from my Catholic perspective where we believe there has been a succession of Popes going back unbroken to Jesus.

Do the Twelvers have an explanation why the Imams did not continue with Hasan's lineage rather than after his death it going to his younger brother Hussein and his descendants?

And why did it end with only 12 Imams and did not continue on until the present day?
Yusuf B Gursey
2015-12-01 12:48:31 UTC
Post by David Amicus
I'm asking this from my Catholic perspective where we believe there has been a succession of Popes going back unbroken to Jesus.
Do the Twelvers have an explanation why the Imams did not continue with
Hasan's lineage rather than after his death it going to his younger
brother Hussein and his descendants?
Husayn was uncomproming and held is thus in higher esteem. The succession goes to Husayn then his descendants has its logic.
David Amicus
Is there something in Islamic inheritance law that says a brother should take precedence over a son?
Yusuf B Gursey
2015-12-03 07:39:09 UTC
I'm asking this from my Catholic perspective where we believe there h=
as been a succession of Popes going back unbroken to Jesus.
=20
Do the Twelvers have an explanation why the Imams did not continue wi=
th=20
Hasan's lineage rather than after his death it going to his younger =
=20
brother Hussein and his descendants?
=20
Husayn was uncomproming and held is thus in higher esteem. The successi=
on goes to Husayn then his descendants has its logic.
=20
=20
And why did it end with only 12 Imams and did not continue on until t=
he present day?
=20
Is there something in Islamic inheritance law that says a brother should=
=20
take precedence over a son?
Frankly I don't know. What is certain is that Islamic law does not tell us =
anything about political succession and that strict primogeniture has not b=
een practiced in Islamic lands. The Zaydi sect of Shiism (cf. the Huthis of=
Yemen) sees the Imam being the "best qualified" descendant of Ali, althoug=
h this also degenerated into a monarchy - represented by the Imam - Kings o=
f Yemen.