Shaikh Hajj Abujamal rahmatullahi 'alaih
Bedreddin
2012-09-17 13:06:08 UTC
As-salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu!

May Allah's peace, mercy and blessings be upon all of you.

Months ago, I thought I had reached every online venue my shaikh frequented=
. I obviously neglected this forum. For that, I seek forgiveness of its p=
atrons who may have appreciated the labor of Shaikh Hajj Abujamal as much a=
s I.

On May 1 of this year, my shaikh was called home to ALLAH. I bore witness =
to his last days and marveled at the forbearance with which he met his suff=
ering. He saw himself leaving this world long before any of us could even =
entertain the notion thereof and he remained hopeful that the potential he =
saw in his beloved would eventually, inevitably reach full fruition.

On my first day in Springdale over ten years ago, the shaikh, having recent=
ly made hajj, draped his head in a shemagh, a type of headcovering common t=
o the Arabian Peninsula. When we drove to the town post office, two locals=
known for their drunken belligerence flung verbal epithets such as "camel =
jockey" and "terrorist" at him. Stepping out of the car to face them, the =
shaikh smiled and asked, "What have I done to you? Why do you have a proble=
m with me?" I watched the two yokels slink back to their hovel diminished =
and mumbling, utterly incapable of answering these simple questions.=20

In The Qur'an, Allah tells us: "Repel evil with what is better. Then betw=
een whom and yourself is enmity will become as intimates." The shaikh pers=
onified the truth of these words, both online and off. In numerous discuss=
ion fora, he was capable of pacifying even the most vitriolic of opponents,=
relegating them to silence where they once suffused the medium with persis=
tent antagonism. I observed him deflect ad hominem attacks as effectively =
as a stone wall would a flurry of arrows. He never fostered an iota of bit=
terness toward those who criticized Islam. He never compromised patience f=
or compulsive retaliation. Even the former local marshal, who once endeavo=
red to unlawfully remove both the shaikh and his family from their home, ev=
entually saw in him what we all have seen for so long: a sincere effort to=
establish good relations among his fellow human beings. Not long before t=
he shaikh passed, this very same man, a one-time inveterate nemesis, visite=
d him and humbly embraced him as a friend.

He unabashedly admonished muslims who fell prey to the incitement of their =
detractors, vigilantly reminding them of their purpose, calling them to hig=
her ground. He was passionate in the faithful representation of Islam and =
took firmly to task those who claimed to raise its sacred banner while defi=
ling the very ground upon which it had been planted. His faith was his life=
, his world, the very reason for his being. It was the air he breathed and=
the ground on which he stood, the light by which he saw and the water that=
soothed his soul. Nothing mattered more to him than the company he kept w=
ith his Lord.

This is the legacy of the Friends of God, the heirs of the prophets, among =
whom Shaikh Hajj Abu Jamal al-Amriki is certainly one. He saw in each of u=
s a reflection of God's face and witnessed in each of us a potential for re=
storation to our true humanity, so often lost as we wrangle with the myriad=
objectives of an ultimately ephemeral world.

Our hearts need not be heavy, neither today, nor hereafter. However much w=
e may mourn at his passing, the shaikh would never desire despair for us. =
Alhamdulillah, he now resides with Allah, in gardens beneath which rivers f=
low, accompanied by the finest companions, dining upon the sweetest of frui=
ts. And therefrom, Allah reminds us as he did Abu Bakr upon the passing of=
The Prophet:

"Muhammad is but a messenger, messengers have passed away before him. Will =
it be that, when he dies or is slain, you will turn back on your heels? He=
who turns back does no harm to ALLAH, and ALLAH will reward the grateful."

May Allah bless all of you who help us now and hereafter. May Allah grant =
us perfect faith, that the maelstroms of this world swirl playfully past us=
as summer breezes. And may He raise the station of Shaikh Hajj Abu Jamal,=
that from his couch the view remains ever beautiful.

Ameen.

was-salaam,
student of hajj abujamal,
bedreddin
Catherine Jefferson
2012-09-17 22:06:31 UTC
Post by Bedreddin
On May 1 of this year, my shaikh was called home to ALLAH. I bore witness =
to his last days and marveled at the forbearance with which he met his suff=
ering. He saw himself leaving this world long before any of us could even =
entertain the notion thereof and he remained hopeful that the potential he =
saw in his beloved would eventually, inevitably reach full fruition.
<snip>

I'm so sorry to hear this. Abujamal was one of the moderators of this
group for a number of years, and an active participant til a year or so
ago. May his rest be peaceful. May God forgive every sin he ever
committed (as we all have), and welcome him home.

We appreciate your letting us know.
--
Catherine Jefferson <***@ergosphere.net>
Blog/Personal: http://www.ergosphere.net
DKleinecke
2012-09-18 01:36:28 UTC
Post by Catherine Jefferson
On May 1 of this year, my shaikh was called home to ALLAH. =A0I bore wi=
tness =3D
Post by Catherine Jefferson
to his last days and marveled at the forbearance with which he met his =
suff=3D
Post by Catherine Jefferson
ering. =A0He saw himself leaving this world long before any of us could=
even =3D
Post by Catherine Jefferson
entertain the notion thereof and he remained hopeful that the potential=
he =3D
Post by Catherine Jefferson
saw in his beloved would eventually, inevitably reach full fruition.
<snip>
I'm so sorry to hear this. =A0Abujamal was one of the moderators of this
group for a number of years, and an active participant til a year or so
ago. =A0May his rest be peaceful. =A0May God forgive every sin he ever
committed (as we all have), and welcome him home.
We appreciate your letting us know.
--
Blog/Personal:http://www.ergosphere.net
Hajj Abujamal and I sparred many times in this group and even more
enthusiastically by e-mail outside it. Even though we disagreed widely
on many topics he remained courteous and sane at all times. In one of
our last exchanges he suggested we might get together for a beer. But
we live far apart and neither of us was fit for travel. I think of him
as my friend even though we never met face-to-face.

Perhaps on a later better day.
Yusuf B Gursey
2012-09-18 05:59:32 UTC
Post by Bedreddin
As-salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu!
May Allah's peace, mercy and blessings be upon all of you.
Months ago, I thought I had reached every online venue my shaikh frequent=
ed=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0. =A0I obviously neglected this forum. =A0For that, I seek forgiveness=
of its p=3D
Post by Bedreddin
atrons who may have appreciated the labor of Shaikh Hajj Abujamal as much=
a=3D
s I.
Post by Bedreddin
to his last days and marveled at the forbearance with which he met his su=
ff=3D
Post by Bedreddin
entertain the notion thereof and he remained hopeful that the potential h=
e =3D
Post by Bedreddin
saw in his beloved would eventually, inevitably reach full fruition.
On my first day in Springdale over ten years ago, the shaikh, having rece=
nt=3D
Post by Bedreddin
ly made hajj, draped his head in a shemagh, a type of headcovering common=
t=3D
Post by Bedreddin
o the Arabian Peninsula. =A0When we drove to the town post office, two lo=
cals=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0known for their drunken belligerence flung verbal epithets such as "ca=
mel =3D
Post by Bedreddin
jockey" and "terrorist" at him. =A0Stepping out of the car to face them, =
the =3D
Post by Bedreddin
shaikh smiled and asked, "What have I done to you? Why do you have a prob=
le=3D
Post by Bedreddin
m with me?" =A0I watched the two yokels slink back to their hovel diminis=
hed =3D
Post by Bedreddin
and mumbling, utterly incapable of answering these simple questions.=3D20
In The Qur'an, Allah tells us: =A0"Repel evil with what is better. =A0The=
n betw=3D
Post by Bedreddin
een whom and yourself is enmity will become as intimates." =A0The shaikh =
pers=3D
Post by Bedreddin
onified the truth of these words, both online and off. =A0In numerous dis=
cuss=3D
Post by Bedreddin
ion fora, he was capable of pacifying even the most vitriolic of opponent=
s,=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0relegating them to silence where they once suffused the medium with pe=
rsis=3D
Post by Bedreddin
tent antagonism. =A0I observed him deflect ad hominem attacks as effectiv=
ely =3D
Post by Bedreddin
as a stone wall would a flurry of arrows. =A0He never fostered an iota of=
bit=3D
Post by Bedreddin
terness toward those who criticized Islam. =A0He never compromised patien=
ce f=3D
Post by Bedreddin
or compulsive retaliation. =A0Even the former local marshal, who once end=
eavo=3D
Post by Bedreddin
red to unlawfully remove both the shaikh and his family from their home, =
ev=3D
Post by Bedreddin
entually saw in him what we all have seen for so long: =A0a sincere effor=
t to=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0establish good relations among his fellow human beings. =A0Not long be=
fore t=3D
Post by Bedreddin
he shaikh passed, this very same man, a one-time inveterate nemesis, visi=
te=3D
Post by Bedreddin
d him and humbly embraced him as a friend.
He unabashedly admonished muslims who fell prey to the incitement of thei=
r =3D
Post by Bedreddin
detractors, vigilantly reminding them of their purpose, calling them to h=
ig=3D
Post by Bedreddin
her ground. =A0He was passionate in the faithful representation of Islam =
and =3D
Post by Bedreddin
took firmly to task those who claimed to raise its sacred banner while de=
fi=3D
Post by Bedreddin
ling the very ground upon which it had been planted. His faith was his li=
fe=3D
Post by Bedreddin
, his world, the very reason for his being. =A0It was the air he breathed=
and=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0the ground on which he stood, the light by which he saw and the water =
that=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0soothed his soul. =A0Nothing mattered more to him than the company he =
kept w=3D
Post by Bedreddin
ith his Lord.
This is the legacy of the Friends of God, the heirs of the prophets, amon=
g =3D
Post by Bedreddin
whom Shaikh Hajj Abu Jamal al-Amriki is certainly one. =A0He saw in each =
of u=3D
Post by Bedreddin
s a reflection of God's face and witnessed in each of us a potential for =
re=3D
Post by Bedreddin
storation to our true humanity, so often lost as we wrangle with the myri=
ad=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0objectives of an ultimately ephemeral world.
Our hearts need not be heavy, neither today, nor hereafter. =A0However mu=
ch w=3D
Post by Bedreddin
e may mourn at his passing, the shaikh would never desire despair for us.=
=A0=3D
Post by Bedreddin
Alhamdulillah, he now resides with Allah, in gardens beneath which rivers=
f=3D
Post by Bedreddin
low, accompanied by the finest companions, dining upon the sweetest of fr=
ui=3D
Post by Bedreddin
ts. =A0And therefrom, Allah reminds us as he did Abu Bakr upon the passin=
g of=3D
Post by Bedreddin
"Muhammad is but a messenger, messengers have passed away before him. Wil=
l =3D
Post by Bedreddin
it be that, when he dies or is slain, you will turn back on your heels? =
=A0He=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0who turns back does no harm to ALLAH, and ALLAH will reward the gratef=
ul."
Post by Bedreddin
May Allah bless all of you who help us now and hereafter. =A0May Allah gr=
ant =3D
Post by Bedreddin
us perfect faith, that the maelstroms of this world swirl playfully past =
us=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0as summer breezes. =A0And may He raise the station of Shaikh Hajj Abu =
Jamal,=3D
Post by Bedreddin
=A0that from his couch the view remains ever beautiful.
Ameen.
was-salaam,
student of hajj abujamal,
bedreddin
I will truely miss him.
Zev
2012-09-20 22:51:04 UTC
Post by Bedreddin
As-salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu!
May Allah's peace, mercy and blessings be upon all of you.
Months ago, I thought I had reached every online venue my shaikh frequented=
. I obviously neglected this forum. For that, I seek forgiveness of its p=
atrons who may have appreciated the labor of Shaikh Hajj Abujamal as much a=
s I.
In recent years, I've taken little interest in SRI,
but for some reason I looked into it now and noticed only this thread.
Perhaps because his merits warranted additional mention,
by one more person.

I remember how friendly he was in off-line, email correspondence,
and how he answered so well, questions I had
about apparent contradictions in the Quran.
He lived up to his own motto:
"Be like the better son of Adam".

I always assumed I could write to him whenever I wanted,
I'm sorry he's left us.
menj