"If Muhammad Won't Go To The Mountain Then The Mountain Will Come To Muhammad"
David Amicus
2016-04-19 05:34:06 UTC
Do Muslims find that phrase offensive? I was watching a tv show tonight where it was used. I was surprised. It doesn't right to me.
Yusuf B Gursey
2016-04-21 13:09:43 UTC
Do Muslims find that phrase offensive? I was watching a tv show tonight =
where it was used. I was surprised. It doesn't right to me.

The origin is a Turkish phrase without reference to Muhammad,
"Muhammad" seems to have been inserted by Francis Bacon
or someone he had contact with:=20

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/if_the_mountain_won%27t_come_to_Muhammad

Mahomet made the people believe that he would call a hill to him, and from =
the top of it offer up his prayers, for the observers of his law. The peopl=
e assembled; Mahomet called the hill to come to him, again and again; and w=
hen the hill stood still, he was never a whit abashed, but said, If the hil=
l will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet will go to the hill.

The original phrase is

"Dag^ sana gelmezse, sen dag^a gideceksin..." ("If the mountain won't come=
to you, you must go to the mountain)."

Alternatively:

Dag^ yu"ru"mezse_abdal yu"ru"r

If the mountain does not walk (or move)
the fool (the word used is originally a Sufi
title or a member of a nomadic tribe) walks
(or moves).

One can see how "Muhammad" was inserted given
the Turkish origin. The version with Muhammad
reflects the general Western prejudice of=20
Muhammad or Muslims as stupid and superstitious.
David Amicus
2016-04-21 21:58:51 UTC
Thanks Yusuf!

I wonder if there might be a connection to the Bible story?

http://biblehub.com/matthew/17-20.htm
Yusuf B Gursey
2016-04-21 23:04:30 UTC
Post by David Amicus
Thanks Yusuf!
I wonder if there might be a connection to the Bible story?
http://biblehub.com/matthew/17-20.htm
Quite possibly. Possibly someone (a European) heard of the
Turkish proverb (there was plenty of trade), this lead
to its being tied with Muhammad and a demonstration of his
lack of faith by reference to the NT.

BTW allusion to the weight of a mustard seed (without reference
to moving mountains) appears twice in the Qur'an: Al-Anbiya (The
Prophets) 21:47 and Luqman 31:16