Islam And Cats
David Amicus
2015-10-15 18:41:56 UTC
In another thread cats were mentioned. Muhammad was fond of cats according to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_cats
Yusuf B Gursey
2015-10-16 06:41:32 UTC
In another thread cats were mentioned. Muhammad was fond of cats accordin=
g=20
to this
Abu Hurairah "The Father of the Kitten", again as his name was fond cats. H=
e was also a prolific narrator of Hadith (sayings of the Prophet), many of =
them tall tales, and we have lot's cat friendly Hadith!

It is also a polemic against Zoroastrianism, which believes that the cat wa=
s the creation of Ahriman (Angra Mainyu - The Devil) and the dog the creati=
on of Hurmuz (Hurmazd - Ahura Mazda - (The Good) God). So in return Islam p=
refers cats.
=20
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_cats
<<
=20
The prophet ... cut off the sleeve of his prayer robe rather than wake his =
favourite cat ...

The stripes some cats have on their foreheads are believed to mark the touc=
h of Muhammad's fingers

the first cat was created when God caused a lion to sneeze, after animals o=
n Noah's Ark complained of mice
I remember these from my childhood, in a houseful of cats at my great-aunts=
'. The addition to last story I had heard was that the mice were created wh=
en the Devil had caused the pig to sneeze and that the robe in question was=
an expensive gift and that is a sin to disturb a sleeping cat. Also the tr=
iangular mark on the foreheads of many cats represents the mihrab of a mosq=
ue (the niche marking the direction of prayer)
DKleinecke
2015-10-16 17:46:24 UTC
Post by Yusuf B Gursey
[...]
It's hard to tell how many cats there were in Muhammad's world but
there were some and there doesn't seem to be a single word against
them.
Yusuf B Gursey
2015-10-22 19:29:43 UTC
Post by DKleinecke
In another thread cats were mentioned. Muhammad was fond of cats acco=
rdin=3D
Post by DKleinecke
g=3D20
to this
=20
Abu Hurairah "The Father of the Kitten", again as his name was fond cat=
s. H=3D
Post by DKleinecke
e was also a prolific narrator of Hadith (sayings of the Prophet), many=
of =3D
Post by DKleinecke
them tall tales, and we have lot's cat friendly Hadith!
=20
It is also a polemic against Zoroastrianism, which believes that the ca=
t wa=3D
Post by DKleinecke
s the creation of Ahriman (Angra Mainyu - The Devil) and the dog the cr=
eati=3D
Post by DKleinecke
on of Hurmuz (Hurmazd - Ahura Mazda - (The Good) God). So in return Isl=
am p=3D
Post by DKleinecke
refers cats.
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=3D20
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_cats
=20
=20
<<
=3D20
The prophet ... cut off the sleeve of his prayer robe rather than wake =
his =3D
Post by DKleinecke
favourite cat ...
=20
The stripes some cats have on their foreheads are believed to mark the =
touc=3D
Post by DKleinecke
h of Muhammad's fingers
=20
the first cat was created when God caused a lion to sneeze, after anima=
ls o=3D
Post by DKleinecke
n Noah's Ark complained of mice
=20
=20
I remember these from my childhood, in a houseful of cats at my great-a=
unts=3D
Post by DKleinecke
'. The addition to last story I had heard was that the mice were create=
d wh=3D
Post by DKleinecke
en the Devil had caused the pig to sneeze and that the robe in question=
was=3D
Post by DKleinecke
an expensive gift and that is a sin to disturb a sleeping cat. Also th=
e tr=3D
Post by DKleinecke
iangular mark on the foreheads of many cats represents the mihrab of a =
mosq=3D
Post by DKleinecke
ue (the niche marking the direction of prayer)
=20
It's hard to tell how many cats there were in Muhammad's world but
there were some and there doesn't seem to be a single word against
them.
Some say it is a polemic against Zoroastrianism, which regards the cat as t=
he creation of Ahriman (The Devil) and the dog as the creation of Hurmuzd (=
Ahura Mazda, God). The Hadith literature is usually not dog friendly, but t=
he dog of the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus is mentioned in the Qur'an, favorab=
ely of course.