What Is The Litmus Test For Being A Muslim?
David Amicus
2016-01-09 22:11:45 UTC
I think the bottom line for us Christians it would be the Trinity. There ar=
e groups who call themselves Christians like the Mormons, the JWs, Oneness =
Pentecostals, Christian Science etc. that deny the Trinity and thus put the=
mselves outside the Faith. So not everyone who calls themselves a Christian=
is actually one. Another example I think is the KKK. I don't see how anyon=
e who burns a cross could be considered a Christian.

So what is it with Muslims? I'm an outsider. But I'd think is the finality =
of the prophethood of Muhammad. =20

Shirk would be also but the problem there is how to define it. Some think t=
hat praying at the grave of a holy person is shirk.=20

So what do others think?
Yusuf B Gursey
2016-01-10 12:07:03 UTC
Post by David Amicus
I think the bottom line for us Christians it would be the Trinity. There ar=
e groups who call themselves Christians like the Mormons, the JWs, Oneness =
Pentecostals, Christian Science etc. that deny the Trinity and thus put the=
mselves outside the Faith. So not everyone who calls themselves a Christian=
is actually one. Another example I think is the KKK. I don't see how anyon=
e who burns a cross could be considered a Christian.
So what is it with Muslims? I'm an outsider. But I'd think is the finality =
of the prophethood of Muhammad. =20
The mainstream view is that if you recite the Shahadah "There is no God
and Muhammad is his Messenger" you are legally a Muslim and God
is supposed to sort out the rest in the afterlife.

A corollary to the above is that the Qur'an is divine and Muhammad is the
last prophet, but the Ahmedis fudge this last point.
Post by David Amicus
Shirk would be also but the problem there is how to define it. Some think t=
That is the most important. Muslims believe that belief in one God is
innate but may be corrupted later in life. So if an infant dies, he or she
is a Muslim in God's eyes and so were the prophets and monotheists before
Muhammad.