Are The Terrorists "Hypocrites"?
David Amicus
2015-11-22 04:23:04 UTC
The Terrorists do not represent authentic Islam. The Media and others try to find words to describe them without offending real Muslims.

In Medina during the time of Muhammad there were a group of people who claimed to be Muslims but were false. The Qu'ran called them "Hypocrites".

I was wondering if "Hypocrite(s)" might be a good appropriate word to describe the Terrorists? Any Muslim hearing that word would know what the reference is.

What do others think?

What is the Arabic word for Hypocrite / Hypocrites?
Catherine Jefferson
2015-11-22 04:46:41 UTC
Post by David Amicus
The Terrorists do not represent authentic Islam. The Media and
others try to find words to describe them without offending real
Muslims.
In Medina during the time of Muhammad there were a group of people
who claimed to be Muslims but were false. The Qu'ran called them
"Hypocrites".
I was wondering if "Hypocrite(s)" might be a good appropriate word to
describe the Terrorists? Any Muslim hearing that word would know
what the reference is.
What do others think?
I wouldn't use the word hypocrite to describe ISIS/ISIL/Daesh as a
movement. People can be hypocrites, but not an organization.

I *would* call many members of ISIS hypocrites (and quite a few in
Al-Qaeda) if the reports of their behavior are accurate. A practicing
Muslim with any sort of integrity wouldn't live a life involving murder,
rape, cruelty to the weak, alcohol and drug abuse, promiscuous sex, or
deliberately targeting children, the elderly, and non-combatants when at
war. That sort of behavior is no more acceptable in Islam than it is in
Christianity, less so when it comes to use of alcohol.

However, there's always the distinction between words in different
languages. I'm not sure that the Arabic word munafiq...
Post by David Amicus
What is the Arabic word for Hypocrite / Hypocrites?
... means precisely the same thing as the English word hypocrite. It
does seem to my untutored ear to be close enough for this purpose, though.

Yusuf? What do you think?
--
Catherine Jefferson <***@ergosphere.net>
Blog/Personal: http://www.ergosphere.net