Does "Martyrdom" Bring Forgiveness Of Sins?
David Amicus
2015-12-03 20:27:30 UTC
I understand that when a person converts to Islam and recites the Shahada t=
hat all sins up to that time are forgiven.

I was wondering whether martyrdom also brings about forgiveness of sins? Th=
e reason is that when I read about the lifestyle of some of the "martyrs" t=
hey were not very Islamic like drinking alcohol and going to strip clubs et=
c.. So I was wondering if their thinking might be they could "live it up" b=
elieving salvation was assured with their sacrificing themselves.
Yusuf B Gursey
2015-12-04 22:29:04 UTC
I understand that when a person converts to Islam and recites the Shahada=
t=3D
hat all sins up to that time are forgiven.
=20
I was wondering whether martyrdom also brings about forgiveness of sins=
=20
Th=3D
Yes, according to what I read from the Encyclopedia of Islam (islam Ansiklo=
pedisi) by the Directorate of Religious Affiars of Turkey and thus some jur=
ists argue that funeral services are not neccessary for them, though they a=
re desirable.=20
e reason is that when I read about the lifestyle of some of the "martyrs"=
t=3D
hey were not very Islamic like drinking alcohol and going to strip clubs =
et=3D
c.. So I was wondering if their thinking might be they could "live it up"=
b=3D
elieving salvation was assured with their sacrificing themselves.
Mind you, God is supposed to sort out whether a martydom is legitimate or y=
ou were in for the battle for other ends. Such an atitude may well be consi=
dered hypocrisy, as you pointed out earlier.

Clearly interest in strip-clubs is not pious behavior. It would be reprehen=
sible but I don't think it would be considered adultery in Islam as long as=
no sex is involved, the women are not Muslims or normally chaste women and=
some sort of case can be made that it is some form of concubinage. A femal=
e performer, appealing to prurient interest and usually a slave was known i=
n Classical Arabic as a qaynah.